Team Gabriel

My photo
As we head out on this next chapter of our lives, we wanted to keep our family and friends updated on everything that was happening...so here we are! Thanks for stopping by.

Monday, February 7, 2011

Lily's 9 month update

Well, our Lilypie is 9 months old already - how time flies! Today was her 9 month well check at Dr. Franklin's office, so she got to see her doctor friend again. It's so funny to watch her with him - I doubt she remembers him from visit to visit, since she now only sees him every 3 months or so, but she warms up to him so quickly! She loves to check out his stethoscope as he listens to her heart and she doesn't even mind when he uses the otoscope on her ears (and she does NOT like it when other doctors do it!). We were actually in the office last Friday for a sick visit - Lily had a fever virus, apparently - and she did not appreciate that doctor checking her ears out at all!

Her visit went wonderfully - everything checked out well and Dr. Franklin is happy with how she's growing and eating and developing. She showed off her bouncing skills, although she was less chatty today than she usually is, but gave him some great big smiles all through the visit. Today was a shotless visit, so there were no tears! Not only did Lily appreciate this, but mommy and daddy really appreciated it! Lily was 16 lbs 5oz today, which was actually a little less than she was on Friday at her visit (16lbs 14oz), but she was weighed on a different scale at a different time of the day, so I'm guessing that's the reason for the discrepancy. Today's weight puts her in the 10th percentile, while her weight on Friday puts her into the 25th - so she's probably somewhere in the middle of those two. Her height was a whole 27 inches, putting her into the 25th percentile and her head circumference was 43.4cm - also the 25th percentile! So, all in all, she's growing well and in proportion. 

As the previous post shows, Lily's quite the mover these days - crawling, scooting, army crawling and doing her backwards crabwalk. She's still so busy and keeps us constantly entertained with her chatting, moving, squealing and bouncing around. She's such a happy baby, always smiling and laughing - and what a great laugh she has! 

In regards to food, she's eating solids three times a day, along with nursing and her breast milk bottles, about 24 oz of milk a day. She eats oatmeal in the morning, with fruits - she LOVES mangoes, but also does pears, apples, bananas and kiwi and we're planning on trying some blueberries this week. At lunchtime she does a little bit of meat, chicken or beef, along with veggies. At dinnertime, she does rice cereal with some more veggies.The veggies she eats include sweet potatoes, squash, broccoli, spinach, green beans, peas and carrots. We've been experimenting with different combinations of purees, which is a lot of fun and make mealtime a little more interesting for Lily. Introducing meat has definitely been an experience - including trying to puree cooked chicken and beef! I use all organic foods to make Lily's purees, but I really wasn't sure how easy it was going to be to find organic meats. Luckily, living in Raleigh, we've got some great resources and I've so far been able to find both organic chicken (tenders, breast and thighs), as well as organic top round filets. Chicken has been a real hit with Lily - but we're still working on the beef. Not too long ago I found these great silicone trays for freezing her food - they work so much better than the regular ice cube trays I had been using. For any mom out there looking to make her own baby food - definitely invest in these! They're about $10 a piece and each section holds about an ounce of food. I picked up 3 of them and they work really well for the rotation of food making that I have.  For Christmas, Lily's Aunt Katie gave me a wonderful baby and toddler food cookbook and I think I'll finally be able to use some of the really neat older baby recipes soon!

Here are some pictures of Lily's doctor visit today;if you look closely at her forehead, you can see her booboo - I think she scratched herself during the night. Time to cut those nails!






No comments:

Post a Comment